The CariFree System Seattle WA
CariFree/Oral BioTech was developed with the vision of helping patients become cavity-free by assessing risks for dental disease, diagnosing the presence of the bacterial caries infection that causes cavities and treating the infection using preventive medical techniques vs. traditional drill and fill methods. CariFree works hand-in-hand with practitioners who desire to practice preventive, wellness care and give patients the opportunity to enjoy a healthy, natural beautiful smile for life.
What are dental caries? I thought they were called cavities.
Cavities are caused by a bacterial infection known in the dental profession as “caries”. This infection is not only treatable, but preventable.
- An acidic oral environment drives the infection.
- Brushing and flossing alone can not stop the infection.
Facts About Cavities
1. Cavities are the demineralized areas, or the holes, that form in teeth as a result of a bacterial infection on your teeth called dental caries. This infection takes place when the normal healthy bacteria in the mouth are replaced by acid-producing bacteria. This shift in bacteria is primarily caused by two things:
2. Prolonged acidic (low pH) oral environment: contributing factors include a lack of saliva, and/or a sugary/acidic diet that favors acid-producing bacteria.
3. Transmission: this infection is contagious! You can be infected by someone through exchange of saliva.
4. Drilling and filling has been the traditional method of treating cavities, but it doesn't treat the bacterial infection, just the symptoms. Brushing and flossing has been the traditional method of prevention, but it does not change the pH (acidity) of the oral environment or treat the infection once it exists.